Hiring an employee with a non-EU nationality
If you want to hire international talent from outside the EU, they need a work and residence permit to be able to legally work and reside in the Netherlands.
In the situation that the international talent you wish to hire already has a permit to reside and/or work in the Netherlands, we can provide you with one of the following options:
- They have a Dutch residence permit as a highly skilled migrant. In this case we can become their Employer of Record and second them to you as a hirer.
- They have a Dutch residence permit and are in their Search Year. In this case we can become their Employer of Record and second them to you as a hirer.
- They have a different Dutch permit to reside and/or live in the Netherlands. Please contact the immigration department of LIMES to see what we can mean to you.
If they don’t have a Dutch residence and/or work permit, we will first explain to you the possible options to apply for one. There are various residence permits for working in the Netherlands. Which residence permit you can apply for depends on the job in the Netherlands. Below you can find two possible residence permits.
Highly skilled migrant permit
The international talent you want to hire is going to work in a high-level position. The conditions for hiring a highly skilled migrant, among others, are:
- They will earn at least a sufficient income. The salary thresholds for 2022 are:
- € 4,840 for employees of 30 years and older.
- € 3,549 for employees younger than 30 years.
- € 2,543 for employees directly employed after a search year or recently graduated at a top 200 university.
- The agreed wage is in accordance with market conditions.
- The employer must be recognised as a sponsor by the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
Recognised sponsors can easily and quickly apply for residence permits for international talent and their family members. Because your company is not established in the Netherlands, it is not possible for you to be a recognised sponsor. Luckily, we can provide you with the solution. MILES is a recognised sponsor and is able to employ your international talent for you, so that they can work and reside in the Netherlands.
We become the Employer of Record, and apply for the necessary permits and 30% ruling. We call this our EOR for permit holders service.
If your company would like to become a recognised sponsor, you first have to set up an entity in the Netherlands. Afterwards, the immigration specialists of LIMES international are pleased to assist your company with becoming a recognised sponsor.
European blue card
The European blue card is intended for international talent who perform highly skilled work within the EU. Specific salary and educational requirements apply. This residence permit should also make it easier for the them to work in a different EU Member States.
In comparison to applying for the residence and work permit via the highly skilled migrant scheme:
- The salary thresholds for 2022 is € 5,670 gross per month, instead of a maximum of € 4,840 of highly skilled migrants.
- Your company does, however, not have to be a recognised sponsor with the IND.